Each year I do the majority of my Charity donations in early December (just after my birthday) spread over a few days (so as not to get my credit card suspended).
In 2021 I cut down donations to random open source projects but donated $100 each to The Software Freedom Conservancy and Software in the Public Interest.
All amounts this year are in $US unless otherwise stated
My main donations was $750 to Givewell (to their Maximum Impact Fund). Once again I’m happy that Givewell make efficient use of money donated. I decided this year to give a higher proportion of my giving to them than last year.
Software and Internet Infrastructure Projects
Others including content creators
I paid $100 to be a supporter of NZ News site The Spinoff
I support a number of creators via Patreon
- $2/month to Daniel King to make Chess videos
- $2/month to Chris Stuckmann who does movie reviews
- $2/month to Kent Overstreet who is making a new Linux filesystem call bcachefs
- $2/month to The Prancing Pony Podcast who make a podcasts show about J R R Tolkien
- $1/article to Todd Hoff who runs Highscalability.com
- $1/month to Joe Snodow who runs funny twitter accounts.
- $1/month to Zach Weinersmith who creates SMBC Comic and other stuff
- $1/video to The Nerdwriter who does Youtube videos
- $1/month to CGP Grey who does Youtube Videos
- $1/month to City Beautiful who is creating videos about cities and city planning.
- $1/month to Alt Shift X who creates youtube videos
- $1/podcast to Rose Eveleth who creates the Flash Forward podcast.
- $1/month to RMTransit who does a Youtube channel on Transit.
- $1/month to Quinn’s Ideas which is a Youtube Channel about Science Fiction (especially Dune)