Each year I do the majority of my Charity donations in early December (just after my birthday) spread over a few days (so as not to get my credit card suspended).
All amounts this year are in $US unless otherwise stated
My main donations was $750 to Givewell (to allocate to projects as they prioritize). Once again I’m happy that Givewell make efficient use of money donated. I decided this year to give a higher proportion of my giving to them than last year.
Software and Internet Infrastructure Projects
€20 to Syncthing which I’ve started to use instead of Dropbox.
$51 to the Internet Archive
$25 to Let’s Encrypt
$50 to the Electronic Frontier Foundation
Others including content creators
I paid $100 to be a supporter of NZ News site The Spinoff
I also supported a number of creators on Patreon:
- $2/month to Daniel King to make Chess videos
- $2/month to Chris Stuckmann who does movie reviews
- $2/month to Kent Overstreet who is making a new Linux filesystem call bcachefs
- $2/month to The Prancing Pony Podcast who make a podcasts show about J R R Tolkien
- $2/month to HaxDogma who makes details Youtube videos about TV shows and other things
- $1/week to Todd Hoff who runs Highscalability.com
- $1/month to Joe Snodow who runs funny twitter accounts.
- $1/month to Zach Weinersmith who creates SMBC Comic and other stuff
- $1/video to The Nerdwriter who does Youtube videos
- $1/month to CGP Grey who does Youtube Videos
- $1/month to City Beautiful who is creating videos about cities and city planning.
- $1/month to Alt Shift X who creates youtube videos
- $1/podcast to Rose Eveleth who creates the Flash Forward podcast.