Executive director of Software Freedom Conservancy
Previously spoke that LCA 2012 about closed-source software on her heart implant. Since then has pivoted career to more open-source advocacy in career.
- DMCA exemption for medical device research
- When you ask your doctor about safety of devices you sound like a conspiracy theorist
- Various problems have been highlighted, some progress
- Some companies addressing them
Initially published paper highlighting problem without saying she had the device
- Got pushback from groups who thought she was scaremongering
- Companies thinking about liability issues
- After told story in 2012 things improved
Had to get new device recently.
- Needed this disabled since her jobs pisses off hackers sometimes
- All manufacturers said they could not disable wireless access
- Finally found a single model that could be disabled made by a European manufacturer
Note: This is a quick summary, Lots more covered but hard to cover. Video should be good. Her slides were broken though much of the talk be she still delivered great talk.