Open Space 1 – Prod Support, who’s responsible
- Problem that Ops doesn’t know products, devs can’t fix, product support owners not technical enough
- Xero have embedded Ops and dev in teams. Each person oncall maybe 2 weeks in 20
- Customer support team does everything?
- “Ops have big graphs on screens, BI have a couple of BI stats on screens, Devs have …youtube videos”
- Tiers support vs Product team vs Product support team
- Tiered support
- Single point of entry
- lower paid person can handle easy stuff
- Context across multiple apps
- Product Team
- Buck stops with someone
- More likely to be able to action
- Ownership of issues
- Everyone must be enabled to do stuff
- Everyone needs to be upskilled
- Prod Support
- Big skilled can fix anything team
- Devs not keen
- Even the best teams don’t know everything
Open Space 2 – DevOps at NZ Scale
- Devops team, 3rd silo
- Sometimes they are the new team doing cool stuff
- One model is evangelism team
- Do you want devops culture or do you just want somebody to look after your pipeline?
- Companies often don’t know what they want to hire
- Companies get some benefit with the tools (pipelines, agile) but not the culture. But to get the whole benefit they need to adopt everything.
- The Way of Ways article by John Cutler
Open Space 3 – Responding Quickly
I was taking notes on the board.