It’s around 11 months since I started playing chess again so I thought I’d do a bit of a review and some goals for 2009.
I’ve found I enjoy playing quite a bit both at the club, tournaments and online as well as doing study both by myself and with others. So I’m definitely going to keep going this year.
In the last rating list my rapid rating went from 1276 to 1314 but my normal rating only went from 1261 to 1274. The main reason for this is that I am still losing the odd game to very low ranked players though carelessness. My actual rating is probably closer to 1400 in both rapid and normal going against my results against players in the 1400-1500 level.
Goals for 2009
- Get my Rating to over 1700
- Play in NZ champs in early 2010 and do well in under-2000 grade.
Programme to accomplish this
- Keep playing at the Club
- Enter as many tournaments as possible.
- Play in over-1400 grades when able
- Train 10-20 hours per week
- Keep going to fortnightly coaching
- 10-20 hours
- 500 problems on tactics server ( 4 hours )
- 20 Blitz games on FICS each week ( 4 hours )
- 10 Standard games on FICS each week ( 4 hours )
- Study Openings repertoire and practice it ( 4 hours )
- Play though annotated games ( 4 hours )
Well that is the plan anyway. Certainly if I keep to it I’ve got a chance at reaching the goals. However keeping myself on track will be the hard bit.
I’m using a little area in the spare room going as a study space. For a computer I’m just going to use my Eee ( with external keyboard, screen and mouse ) but keep it off the network most of the time to cut the urge to browse. But for now just a board and a few books but thats enough for a start.